Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Attitude Adjustment

Like many of you, I used to turn on the news to listen to (maybe watch a bit) as I got ready for work each morning. I like having some background noise to remind me to keep moving. I was dissatisfied with the shows, and so kept switching among them. Finally, after one particularly acrimonious exchange between two guests that managed to rile me up, I decided that this was no way to begin the day.

Fortunately, on cable there are options. Since I am a scientist, I eventually settled on the science channel. There is a tad too much techno info for my taste, but there are facts and data aplenty, presented in a nice, neutral tone. As someone who loves learning new things, that works well for me. I don’t ignore the news, but I get my news during the day in online print (not video).

If you begin the day riled and disgruntled, you will likely have an unhappy, unproductive day. On the other hand, if you begin the day in a serene frame of mind, your day is more likely to go well.

I definitely begin my days with a much better attitude now that I’ve adjusted my “dial” from the news to something more appealing.

If your start to the day makes you irritable, figure out what might be contributing to your bad mood and try to eliminate it. Do something that buoys you up at the beginning of the day and your entire day will be better.

What have you altered or eliminated for a better start to your day?

1 comment:

  1. And if you don't have cable (me!) you can subscribe to their podcast and listen/watch on your own time :)

    ReplyDelete